YOUTH RELIGIOUS EDUCATION FIELD TRIP POLICY
Responsible Entity: Youth Religious Education Committee
Date Approved: 11/24/98
Last Reviewed: 09/17/08
The Youth Religious Education Committee strongly approves of and encourages outside activities for individual classes. Such excursions clearly promote group identification and interest in curriculum content. It is the Committee’s intent to offer help and support to the greatest extent possible for class field trips. Guidelines for the planning of class trips are provided below.
Any planned activity for a group or class as part of the curriculum or as an adjunct to the curriculum that involves leaving the church premises is considered a field trip. This will apply whether the trip is conducted during or outside of regular Youth Religious Education class hours on Sundays.
The following guidelines are necessary in order to provide for the coordination and effective communication of these outings:
1. The Director of Youth Religious Education or Youth Coordinator should be notified of the proposed date at least 2 weeks prior to a field trip.
2. For any trip parents of the children should be notified at least 7 days in advance by the trip leader. The notification will contain a standard field trip form and if any money or special supplies/materials the children need to bring.
3. If Youth Religious Education Committee budget funds need to be requested for the trip, the committee must be informed of the request in time for its monthly meeting.
4. Generally, field trips are discouraged for any date on which a Service for All Ages is scheduled.
5. Each field trip driver must complete a Volunteer Service Form and have approval from the Director of Youth Religious Education before departure.
6. The trip drivers must be at least 25 years of age with a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance. Every person in the vehicle must wear a seat belt. Children younger than the age of 12 may not be seated in a seat with an air bag and all safe congregation policies must be followed.
7. Drivers must complete a Field Trip Driver & Vehicle Form.
8. The trip leader will leave a copy of each Field Trip Driver & Vehicle Form, Field Trip Permission Form and Medical Release form at the church and retain a copy during the trip.